Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Runner, Sukanto, Hemanta and some other beautiful combinations.

So here I was, working on a list of RDCs, and listening to Runner sung by the absolutely incomparable Hemanta Mukherjee. And just on a whim, I decided to google Runner and Sukanto. Sukanto, of course is the Sukanto Bhattacharya who composed Runner and other poems, which do not need an introduction if you are Bengali. If you are not, well then, in this case, bad luck. There is no way in which I can even begin to convey the meaning of this song, much less the feelings behind it. I realize that I sound absolutely parochial and that is bad. However, this is one of those things which are .. nothing if you do not understand them. And if you do, they become holy. I found this rather informative review of a few songs by Hemanta on … hold your breath.. mouthshut.com. This is rather strange, I knew mouthshut to be a place where people write reviews on cellphones, cars and cameras. Not songs. Well, the world changeth. And we with it.

No comments: