Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Evil Businesses and the fact that they are screwing with us

At the current moment, I am more or less willing to jump off a high rise. Why? Because of that hideous monstrosity of my cable and internet service provider. I mean, they provide internet services, so they should be technologically competent people, right? Or so, one would think. Right after talking to one customer care representative who assured me that the discount code has been applied to my bill, and that I can log on to the automated payment system and pay my discounted bill; I logged into the system and found out that the discount code has not been applied. This is my valuable time you morons! I am beginning to hate large amorphous corporations with an absolutely visceral loathing. Somewhat remindful of Agragaj (I think) from the Guide to the Galaxy. All of them are out to get me. Its personal this time. This is the reason why people become Nihilists and blow up stuff. Think about it; a peaceable, nonviolent bloke like me is contemplating serious mayhem. Why? Because the invisible corporate honchos who control the world are not interested in giving the public better and faster service… the bottom line is all that matters. This is a question I would like to put to my reader: the free market economy is supposed to encourage efficiency through competition. However, if companies decide that they do not need to be competitive or inventive or efficient, they just need to choke off the alternatives available to the customer, then how is this situation different from a state owned bureaucratic monopoly?

No comments: