Friday, June 30, 2006

Shohorebrishti

Why shohorebrishti?

About once every two weeks, my batchmate K and my friend C ask me what is the meaning of the word 'Shohorebrishti.' I tell them. Then, two weeks later, they ask me again. One may think think that this is an insidious plan to slowly drive me crazy. But then, what is new about that?

'Shohor' means 'city', and 'brishti' means 'rain.' Thus, the name of my blog is 'rain in the city.' Now again, why such a name? Well, I chose the name from one of Suman Chattopadhyay's songs. Suman happens to be a modern Bengali poet and singer. There is, of course a school of though which maintains that he is nothing more than a pretentious idiot. I tend to disagree.

Suman represents the best (though certainly not the first) of the 'Jibonmukhi' singers. 'Jibonmukhi', again stands for 'turning back to life'. This is where the question of being a pretentious idiot comes in. A friend had once described Jibonmukhi songs as 'simply talking about getting up in the morning, going to work, being yelled at by the boss, coming home, watching the East Bengal - Mohunbagan match, having a late dinner and falling asleep.' His contention, being that there has to be romance in songs and in poetry. The counter argument, is that there is romance in life, it is just that one has to look for it. Shohorebrishti is an attempt to do just that. Well, it is also my rant against things I dislike, which is most of the world. But then, you get the general idea.

1 comment:

Vishal Bardoloi said...

Dada!

Arnab just pointed me to your post here, please allow me to present my humble views on the subject.

http://happymancry.blogspot.com/2006/06/its-ok-if-youre-bong.html

Accurate, would you say?