Wednesday, January 17, 2007

More bad physics.

People at the University of Calcutta, and its affiliated institutions, such as the venerated Presidency College (which is where the world began its so far unsuccessful attempts to teach my physics) sometimes mispronounce the Greek letter 'psi' as 'shy'. Just a matter of not pronouncing the sibilant correctly. But it so happens that if you are talking about the Schrodinger Wave Equation, and you happen to say 'del shy, del t', people will know for sure that you are from the University of Calcutta. Now that is not a bad thing, but I did get into an argument with one of our professors at the Institute where he kept saying 'doe psi, doe t', and I kept saying 'del shy, del t'. As it happens this professor (a person whom I regard with the greatest admiration) was right with the 'psi', and was dead wrong with the 'doe'.

Anyway, it is a matter of opinion, and my opinion is that 'shy', while carrying a nice touch of ethnicity.. as in if someone used that in a seminar and has a last name like Mukherjee or Ganguly or Das, I would go up to him afterward and chat.. is still wrong. It is 'psi'. P silent.

Now we come to 'doe'. The partial derivative (I am sorry that I do not have a symbol generator here to show it to you) is represented by the lowercase Greek delta. It can be referred to as 'delta' or 'del'. Not 'doe.' A doe is a female deer. As in...
Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun
Me, a name I call myself
Far, a long long way to run
Sew, a needle pulling thread
La, a note to follow sew
Tea, I drink with jam and bread
That will bring us back to do...oh oh oh

A
ny more mispronunciations will be dealt with with utmost strictness.

1 comment: