Sunday, July 09, 2006

Tu Aashqui Hai and concerts long ago.

Some two years ago, with an entirely different cast of friends and enemies in the picture, I went to a concert. This was by Rhythmica, the institute music group. One of ther lead singers was a guy called Jayabrata. His nickname was 'tari' (on account of the fact that tari means country liquor which was his mainstay). But that is beside the point. I once had the pleasure of being in the same team as him (backing vocals only!!) and he always struck me as the most effortlessly brilliant singer I have ever personally met.

The song that Tari was singing that night was 'Tu Aashqui Hai'. I remember him grabbing the mike and singing the first line. At which point the audience erupted in applause, catwhistles, howls etc etc. He had to stop until everyone was quiet and then he started again. That was the best rendition of that song which I have ever heard. It has been my favourite song to this day.

I was logged on to raaga.com and listening to that particular song. Hence the nostalgia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»