Saturday, July 08, 2006

Chinese Junk Food

A Return to Chinese Junk Food.

Something I was long against. And for good reason too! Indians have a peculiar habit of eating Chinese food with Indian spices. This comes to a peculiar mixed breed cuisine which is neither here nor there. The ubiquitous little trolley with egg rolls and chowmien on any Calcutta street corner to me symbolizes early evening linners (something halfway between lunch and dinner). Not something that was ever very tasty, but just about kept me going till ten at night, at which point I would find myself at home and at dinner proper.

So, I was at the mall last evening. And really hungry. So what do I see but this Chinese junk food shop with this Chinese bloke waving at me (now that is a very welcoming gesture given that fact that it was a choice between this joint and another eatery, somewhat more posh, and all told, not as appetizing.) So I toddle along and exchange greetings with this bloke. At which point, he offers me a piece of Orange Chicken to taste. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was sweet!

Then I just had to grab a bag of fried rice with mushrooms, chicken and something really interesting which I have no clue what to call. That was an excellent meal! And brought back all these memories of street food back home. (Which given the inevitable weakening of my immune system here, I should stay away from).

There should be a post later about Kati Roll, the famous shop on Chouringhee back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»