Monday, July 03, 2006

something awful rises again

Something awful rises again.

I saw a programme on skinheads in the US last night. It scared me. The creed they preach is one of unending violence and blood on the streets. Their's is a marriage of the Swastika and the Klan. They say that their race needs to be defended from encroachments made by other people, usually of different colour. What seems to be the heartening thing about the whole affair is that there are greater numbers of decent folk out there who view such people as an aberration.

Now I have to account for the fact that I suffer from the same middle class ennui that plagues most of the world, and that I view any journey upward as through legitimate channels and not by blood. But there are people out there, poor disenfranchised people for whom there is no affirmative action, people whose jobs have been outsourced and who do not have the education to get white collar work. What about them? Who is to blame for their lot? Is it the ubiquitous brown skinned or slant eyed people in whose countries their factories are being relocated? Or is the white/brown/black/yellow people who sit in corporate boardrooms and decide to shift the factories?

People talk about the 'creation of wealth'? How is wealth created? By building more cars that people do not need? Does wealth really trickle downstream or is the economy simply busy sucking money and giving it to the already bloated creamy layer? I don't know the answers, but I suspect that they are much more horrific than I can imagine.

No comments: