Monday, July 23, 2007

The Boy Who Lived.

The wait is over, I picked up the book early on Saturday from the Borders on Central Campus and got started immediately. This was slightly impeded by the fact that I was navigating for K on a 50 mile drive to some people's place who invited us to stay for lunch. I made it through somehow and got back to the book. Anyways, long story short (pun intended) I finally put the book down, exhausted and drained late on Saturday night.

Spoilers follow!!!

The Boy Who Lived, still lives. That is the most important point. Severus Snape was always one of the most ambiguous characters and undoubtedly one of the most powerful wizards around.. his murder of Dumbledore at the end of HBP had to be explained. To the partial delight of shippers all over,. he had a thing for Lily Evans.... which does explain a lot... including his undiluted hatred of James Potter.

My theory was true,.... well.. sort of. I had predicted that Harry and Voldemort were Horcruxes of each other... well.. that was partially true.. that Harry was certainly a Horcrux of Voldemort, but what I was not able to give a logical explanation for was the converse.. but JKR did.. and now of course I am butting my head against the wall.. how did I forget the fleeting look of triumph in Dumbledore's eyes when Harry told him how Peter Pettigrew had used some of Harry's blood to resurrect Lord Voldemort? Shame!

They shouldn't have killed Tonks. This was one character I really liked... and I get the feeling that this was done only to up the body count.. rather unnecessary.. in my mind. If JKR wanted more gore.. she should have killed Prof. Flitwick, or even Prof. McGonagall. Oh, and yes, some loose ends were not tied up the way I wanted them. For instance, it was okay to satisfy the legions of shippers by making sure that Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione get together.. but what about Luna and Neville? Also after the Second Battle of Hogwarts, Arthur Weasley should have become the Minister of Magic. This did not happen. Anyway, the long journey is finally over and it has been worth every moment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nope- shouldn't have killed Dobby. He was MY favorite sentimental character. Cried for 2 hours after his death, only after which I resumed reading the book :(
Still sobbing occasionally