Friday, March 16, 2007

Another old post

written during Spring Break, posted today, because I was too laid back to post it after writing it....

On this random midweek (and it is almost exactly the middle of the week), I find myself bored.

Define bored.
Ok, bored is that state of the mind, when you are certain that no further amounts of coffee will kick start the old brain from its state of somnolence. I also need to show some statistics to my advisor and get his opinion. As I am unable to locate him, my lethargy (usually held at bay by an adroit stimulation of the intellect, normally accomplished by putting nasty problems to myself.. such as how to add twenty numbers and take the average) is slowly creeping in.

It is also Spring Break, so there is no class. Hence, I cannot even walk over and commiserate with my friends about our collective unhappiness. I should mention that Spring Break is a lie. There is no atmospheric indication that we are, in fact passing through Spring. I should here birds chirping, or something. I do not.

I spent part of last week panicking over some lost data. Well, I did not actually lose any data, but I thought that I had lost some. After spending some time looking for a suitable rope to end my misery, I finally found the missing data sitting in a .tar file in my own home directory on the NFS. May the great Prophet Zarquon bless the people who invented networked file systems, .tar files. In fact, if there is a special God of Data Protection, I am going to start praying to him/her very, very seriously. I suggest that you do too. Of course, my sister heard the story and told me that my priorities in life are messed up and I should get a life, whatever that means…. What does she know? She is just a theorist…

Oh, did I mention, that Spring Break is not really for graduate students…. That must mean something….

No comments: