Friday, October 24, 2008

Music, cinema and emo's.

This song is beautiful. Listen to it here. This is Here is a sampling: Waqt ne Kiya, and the lyrics are posted below:

Movie Name: Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959)
Singer: Geeta Dutt
Music Director: Burman S D
Lyrics: Kaifi Azmi
Year: 1959
Producer: Guru Dutt Films
Director: Guru Dutt
Actors: Baby Naaz, Guru Dutt, Johny Walker, Mehmood, Pratima Devi, Waheeda Rehman
Theme: Art/Offbeat

Tum rahe na tum ham rahe na ham
Waqt ne kiya…

Waqt ne kiya kya haseen sitam

Beqaraar dil is tarha mile
jis tarha kabhi ham juda na the
Tum bhi kho gaye, ham bhi kho gaye
Ek raah par chalke do qadam
Waqt ne kiya…

Jaayenge kaha sujhta nahi
chal pade magar raasta nahi
Kya talaash hai kuchh pata nahi
Bun rahe hain dil khaab dam-ba-dam
Waqt ne kiya…

This song is fascinating as much for its poetry/music as for Geeta Dutt's voice and also for Guru Dutt's direction. But what really bugs me is the comments people leave on Youtube. Why does a lovely song have to bring out the emo in everyone?


A deeply haunting/cathartic experience. Geeta Dutt has brought the searing pain/longing/helplessness of kaifi's words to such melancholic intensity....that crying is a some sorta relief! Remarkably the song stunningly foretells the doomed real-life relationship of Gurudutt-peerless Waheeda! Tragedy of tragedy is Geeta Dutt has to undergo the trauma for no fault of hers.....isn't it a travesty that she sings for Waheeda. Great talents, human beings tragically lost early! All we can do is remember


Guru Dutt really lived cinema. It was tragic that this movie was a hit after his death. Great song. Lyrics, Music and the singer at their best.

I love geeta dutt's voice. Such intense
wish she had sung more songs :(


I never thought I will every cry watching this video.......May be a kid I never understood this song or this video....every emotion , every expression and every word is so true .....hatts off to Indian cinema....now days we are really deprived of good cinema. poor us...


Aaah too much! This song never used to bother me that much when I was a teenager, but now I'm much older and so have really loved it makes me cry :.(..

Makes me cry every time! Time has inflicted on us such a cruelty, you are no longer yourself , I am no longer myself.

1 comment:

Parag said...

Hi

Greetings of the day.

I happened to see your blog dedicated to the divine song Waqt ne kiya sung by Geeta Dutt ji.

It is an excellent piece of article and many thanks for posting it. I am glad to see that you have said some real nice words for playback singer Geeta Dutt ji.

I am proud to let you know that I am involved with the first ever website dedicated to this singer Geeta Dutt ji. The website is www.geetadutt.com and was launched on 23rd November 2008. Kindly visit the site and do let us know your feedback on the same.

I will be highly grateful if you can provide a link to www.geetadutt.com on your blog.

The official email id of our site is geetaduttfans@gmail.com

Many thanks and warmest Regards
Parag

(On the behalf of Geeta Dutt fans)