Thursday, October 19, 2006

NY Roadtrip I

We went to NY. This was on Labour Day. Why exactly? Cos its NY! The Big Apple! Any other reason needed? Ok, so I had a friend there whom I had not met in .. a decade! That is enough of a good reason. So if that thing on top of my shoulders actually had a brain in it, I would have flown up sometime in June when Mil was in NY, apparently being romanced by the recruiters of the firm where she was interned. Mil is my cousin, has strong views on many topics and is smart. That is enuf of an intro. But then, I didn’t! That was me being stupid and enjoying.. I don’t really know what; at AA. Ann Arbor is actually beautiful at that time of the year.. but what did I know? I was in lab!!

Anyway, enough of the rant. So after I came back from the Desh, fully rested and batteries recharged, C and K spring it on me that we are going to NY. As in going. Not as in, ‘dude, dyu wanna go to NY?’. Ok, that is not bad. So the plan was to rent a car and drive up. Looking at the beauties of the countryside along the way. Like motels, assembly line manufactured coffee shops.. you get the picture. R was invited. R is one of the more indecisive people I know. In fact, I know quite a few indecisive people and R takes the cake quite thoroughly. So after vacillating for a while, she finally opted out. Meanwhile, things were happening at the planning end. We were supposed to be bivouacked at D’s place. D is doing a PhD somewhere in NY and happens to be K’s batchmate from the days of yore.

About a week before the trip, D started this vague line about having to go somewhere on the weekend in question. At this moment, D and C had spent some time bonding via the net. All kinds of touristy plans had been hatched. Me, I stayed pretty much out of that. Things began looking really shady to me.

And then, C’s friendly rep at the Toyota dealer called and said that the Prius she had asked for was not around yet, but a black one with a slightly higher trim was available. This was just before the weekend. C cancelled the rental car and we drove to the dealer. K drove us. Apart from the one time when he steered straight into oncoming traffic and my life well and truly flashed in front of my eyes, this was quite uneventful. K’s brilliant excuse for pulling that stunt was that the other smartypants in the backseat, K2 was giving him contradictory directions. Contradictory to whom, one asks? Me. The navigator.

No comments: