Friday, March 17, 2006

idocy and thereafter

Sping break came and went, without much sign of spring. The snow was still making its presence felt, by making the “path of the desis” slippery and difficult to navigate. In better and warmer climes grad students went out and had fun. Me, I hunkered down with a few new novels and movies. And of course, break doesn’t mean “break”. One still comes to lab and all that. Anyway, this offensive period was soon over and things are back to normal. Or almost. One exam down. One prelim to go.

A couple of days back, I decided it was time to hake of the ennui and get back to work. Hence, I tried to run a DNA gel. Now this setup is almost idiot proof. It takes a certain amount of intellect to actually mess up. There are notches where we put in the different components, so there is no way one can start out trying to assemble a gel setup, and end up with, say a machine gun. I went through all the steps without mishap, and although my mentor winced when she saw the way I had loaded the DNA, she said that it will probably worked. Then, I went and plugged in the positive to the negative and vice versa. And the gel ran for half and hour. Sending the entire DNA into the buffer. The only comment that the boss made was that I am finally beginning to behave like a ham-handed physicist. Which, is of course, true.

No comments: