Friday, May 29, 2015

Old friends, old lab

I found the opportunity to go visit some old friends and co-workers at Rutgers while on my recent trip to the east. Pictures below
We had lunch at this joint called Hoysala, somewhere in Somerset. On my way from Newark, I realized that I had forgotten the following things:
  • US1 is an evil roadway which will eat away at the precious minutes of your life without remorse and replace your calm, Zenlike state of mind with something approaching fury.
  • New Jersians drive like they live in a crossover universe from World War Z and Mad Max. This is not unlike New Jersey in reality. Please note.
  • I haven't seen such a high geographical concentrations of desis in a while. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Then there was some more hanging out with old compadres on Busch campus. Where I found that during my time, I had never seen this statue of Hippocratus
Anyhoo, so we had some coffee,
 And then went to take a look at their double helix structure sculpture which adorns the space outside their new Proteomics building.
 This Proteomics building, also houses the famed Protein DataBank, one of the most important biomedical depositories there exists. These are artist's renderings of some of the early structures solved.




 And finally, I took a look at their magnet room, which now also houses their 800 MHz unit. Very impressive, and extremely pretty - quite a far cry from the dimly lit dungeon which I remember.



No comments: