Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day, an eventful weekend.

Our man Joydeep had come over from Columbus. That took some doing on his part, as he is also a newbie driver (even newer than yours truly), and driving on highways with no prior experience can be quite harrowing. Anyway, I learned a vital lesson about network security on Friday: my wireless internet at home is part of the University connection: hence configured using my University login.. and it is an unsecured network. So, some evil person downloaded a song using some bittorrent software, and it showed up on my name! Anyway, I get this notice from IT telling me that I am in hot water. I explain to them that I do not use any peer to peer software and I have never even heard of the song in question. After talking to the bloke in IT, I finally understand the only possible explanation for this, and he tells me to go secure my home wireless immediately. Which I do. Hence, a word of caution to everyone reading: secure your home wireless connection: there are much worse things people do online than merely downloading songs... and if evil neighbours do this on YOUR unsecured wireless network, then you will have a difficult time explaining to the authorities that it wasn't you. SECURE YOUR WIRELESS.

Ok, having done with that, I watched 'The Devil wears Prada' with C and V, leading to a great broadening of my horizons ( I now know that cerulean is a colour). I also hung out with our man Nandi and Rachna and got into a huge discussion about what constitutes an FOB desi (me).

Saturday was sleep, and viewing Terry Gilliam's famous work 'Brazil'. I understand why he was so pissed at the studios which cut out the ending to make it optimistically audience friendly. Dystopian works ending on a happy note speak volumes of the heavy hand of MBAs, not artists. Then I went out taking pictures with C, V and A. Which was good. There is something magical about the setting sun... here I was getting supremely pissed at this couple who were being all lovely dovey on this pier just at sunset. I realised that the shades of sunset and the angle of incident sunlight would last for 15 minutes tops.. and I wanted that pier in my shot! I mean, people, go be romantic somewhere else! Don't ruin my composition! Well, all said and done, I did find some nice angles.

Then Joydeep turned up. And we adjourned to a Thai restaurant. This one had Gawd-awful service. Will avoid in future. And quite unnecessarily expensive, too. Then we went out, and got back waaay after midnight. Tried to see 'The Kingdom', but crashed halfway through. Sunday was lunch at C's place, then a drive out to Lake Eerie, a place called Sterling State Park. Nice pictures. And finally, dinner at Niks place. Between the park and dinner was a harrowing drive through the most shady, seedy district of Detroit, and a traitorous GPS which tried to send us on the bridge to Canada twice. Joydeep had no clue why I was so shit-scared. He suggested that that we stop and ask for directions at the petrol pump.. I pointed out that the windows had bulletproof shutters, ergo I was NOT stopping. This was somewhat illuminating... I had a firsthand visual impression of what people mean when they talk about the economic downfall of Michigan. We drove past what seemed like miles and miles of abandoned factories and houses. The tailspin that the car industry seems to be in shows here in a city that is largely dead. Then we get to Niks' place, where I get yelled at for not meeting her for two semesters. But we get a great dinner. All in all, a very nice weekend.

No comments: