Tuesday, August 07, 2007

4/3rds sensors and signal/noise.

S/N or signal to noise ratio is something that spectroscopists of all brands dream about maximising. There is a small slogan on our lab whiteboard:

Sensitivity x Resolution x Convenience = Constant.

This sums up the picture very succinctly. Right now, I was busy reading a pep-me-up article about the 4/3rds system. Why did I need the pep-me-up? Because of the disgusting unwillingness of third-party companies to provide cheap tele lenses for the 4/3 mount. Undoubtedly, Nikon and Canon make brilliant cameras, but I have used an E-500 for the better part of ten months now, and I am delighted with its performance. I would not exchange it for anything short of, say a D200. But there is a lot of crap information floating around which needs to be taken with a massive truckload of salt.

1. Sensor Area:
The dimensions of different sensors are given below in mm:
Point & Shoot 2/3 = 6.6 x 8.8 Area(sq. mm) = 58.8
4/3 = 13.0 x 17.3 Area(sq. mm) = 224.9
Sigma/Foveon = 13.8 x 20.7 Area(sq. mm) = 285.66 % of 4/3 sensor area = 127
Canon APS-C (almost equivalent to Nikon APS-C) = 14.8 x 22.2 Area(sq. mm) = 328.56 % of 4/3 sensor area = 146
Full Frame = 24 x 36 Area(sq. mm) = 864 % of 4/3 sensor area = 384

Barring gigantic leaps in semiconductor technology (which I do not rule out), the trend should be towards improving the performance of existing signal processing algorithms and optics, as we seem to be stuck with small sensors for now.

No comments: