Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Spelling, Grammar and other things which make my life interesting

Me being hypocritical about grammar and spelling.

I have perfectly awful grammar, and even worse spelling. So why bother complaining? There is a perfectly justifiable reason. I suspect that a large fraction of the people who use fractured language in their daily lives have, in fact forgotten the original version. People are addicted to SMS and other media way more than they have any reason to be. The results show up everywhere. Look at an “official” letter written by any random idiot belonging to this current generation and laugh. Sure, MS Office is an amazing tool for our daily lives, but sometimes it pays to write. You know, the way people used to.. with pen and paper. And there is the persistent, pervasive influence of the media around you.. I’m lovin’ it!! A long time ago, someone told me that I apparently speak in complete sentences. What was really surprising was that he meant it to be pejorative! Twerp! Listening to some of the people talk around me makes me wonder.. here is an example.. ‘I went to the show, and it was like, you know, awesome!’ If someone left things to me, I would fine anyone under the age of 21 a quarter each time they used ‘like’ and ‘you know’ unnecessarily. The fine for older people would be.. like.. a dollar.

No comments: