Monday, May 04, 2009

An open letter to John le Carre, and a word about his latest novel.

Dear Mr. Cornwell,

I have admired your work for many years. My father first introduced me to George Smiley. I then became friends with Guillam and Connie Sachs. I hated Tob Esterhase and pitied Lady Ann for being a fool. And I developed a sneaking admiration for Karla.

I have spent many pleasant afternoons debating the relative character defects of Smiley with the only comparable character anyone else has written: Len Deighton's Bernard Samson, also of the SIS.

It has been perhaps fifteen years since I first opened a le Carre. My tastes in literature have evolved. But my admiration for you has only grown.

A Man Most Wanted leaves something lacking. I must apologize for saying this. Firstly, as Robert Heinlein had once put it to a fan "you never wrote to me about all the books you liked, and now you are writing to complain about the one you didn't!" Guilty. Secondly, you, of all authors have nothing left to prove. But this latest work is very flat in comparison to the many coloured, nuanced writing that has made you so famous. Just an opinion. A respectful one.

I hope to keep reading your novels in the future. May you enjoy good health and happiness.

Akash, a fan.

No comments: