Friday, February 15, 2008

Topological thoughts during office hours and what they lead to.

My boss asked me to take a visiting scientist out for lunch. This gentlemen works in a well known group at Harvard. We had an excellent lunch and then, as he had lived in Ann Arbor years ago, spent a short while walking around Central campus. We got back, and I started working on this thing I had been tweaking yesterday. The script works fine, things are just peachy.

In the meantime, my hard working laptop, a beautiful Macbook has been screaming for attention. It refuses to boot off the battery, a problem I have been pretending does not exist. Might be a motherboard issue. Anyway, today it decided to grab my attenshun by refusing to connect to the external monitor properly. Any movement of the mouse makes the whole display shake. It made me seasick. So I moved to a fairly old, but well behaved Linux machine.

Then things went wrong. I started randomly thinking about the old 'how many road must a man walk down', and then thought about Mobius strips, and then about the Koningsburg seven bridges problem. If this chain of thought is difficult to follow, don't be surprised.

So I started to try solving the Seven Bridge's problem. Now obviously, there is no solution to this problem,but let me just direct you to an excellent page which discusses this. Then a student who I am helping with some work walked in. We started talking about his work and before we knew it, it had been quite a while and our visiting scientist's seminar was over and done with.

That was pretty bad.

No comments: