Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Of parties, pictures and movies, of looking at cars and thinking about binary search as a tool for finding a girlfriend.





This has been a totally crazy weekend, with an equally crazy week before it... last week I bummed out after running close on to one and a half days of experiments with a crummy lock on ze spektrometer. Needless to say, I was suitably morose. Anyway, the experiments have been run, this time, properly (I hope).. so the advancement of science has not been delayed too much!! The weekend before last, I was taking pictures for the ICMD concert.. and the link is here.

The 30th evening saw my friends Rachna and Pradeep drop in at 11.45 and demand to be entertained until midnight, at which point I was to cut a birthday cake and celebrate. It had been a horrific day with labwork and teaching, and I am sure it was not a leisurely day for my friends either. Moral- I have great, wonderful, precious friends.

The 31st saw my roomie Young Saumen having organized another cake party with a whole bunch of youngsters... yes, at this point its worth mentioning that I turned 26 last week. Not a happy event... apart from the failed experiments.. there is the overwhelming realisation of a life mostly filled with pedestrian achievements... to wit, Asimov had published his greatest work, 'Nightfall' when he was .. what 21? Lawrence Bragg was a joint winner of the Nobel prize at the age of 25 for his work on XRD. Alexander started his conquest of most of the known world when he was hardly into his twenties. Chandragupta Maurya defeated this exact same Macedonian Empire and created the first unified Indian Empire when he was 20. I am in graduate school, for what looks like a large fraction of eternity. There is something relativistic about this.. my friends in the real world have jobs, usually on their second jobs by now. Well, apropos the previous statement.. I have good friends. There are nice things.

Anyway, we had a fairly large potluck with all these friends on Friday night.. which went on into the wee hours of Saturday. The food was pretty uniformly excellent... as was the 'surapaan'. Saturday was devoted to looking at cars and Nandi discoursing upon the use of binary search to look for girlfriends. But much more on that later..

2 comments:

Rachna said...

What is binary search?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am in one of the photos, well, my hands are.

-Kitty Khat