Wednesday, May 24, 2006

really silly questions

The other day we were at a restaurant. Now I realise that sometimes people wait for other members of their team to turn up, and it does make sense in that context. but not here. At this point, we means the two of us. And the bloke comes up asks, "table for how many, Sir?".. Yes, thats a smart question. I should have come back with, "just one, I plan to stand and watch", or something to that effect. But then, my new year's resolution of 1999 was to be a nicer and more polite person. Part of that resolution was to not verbalise all that I think. I am still working on it.

Then cut to today morning. Me at the bus stop. Bus not there, perhaps a little late. Note that this stop has only one bus coming by. Its not Gariahat. Its not Jadavpur. It has one bus coming by every twenty minutes or so. Young lady I vaguely know (which means we have been introduced and I have mentally classified her into that big tray marked "Boye gyachhe") comes up asks, "Has the bus come by?". Now in which plane will that make any sense. If the bus has, indeed come by, I would be on it. The relevent question, of course, would be "How long have you been standing here?". And again, I wanted to say, that yes, the bus has come by, and I decided to wait for her. But that would lead to a world of trouble

No comments: